Everyone loves a great-looking garden, but it can be difficult to keep your exteriors in tip-top shape when free time is scarce. Thankfully, there are plenty of things you can do that’ll make a big impact within a small amount of time. By following our suggestions, you can create stunning exteriors in only a few hours.
*Please note that times listed are rough estimates, and will vary depending on the size you’ll be covering, your equipment, and other variables.*
1. Mow the lawn (30 mins): A crisply-cut lawn instantly makes your home look put-together, and is a necessary foundation for other exterior improvements. Be careful with your technique, cutting grass in a consistent pattern for uniformity.
2. Make a few quick repairs (30 mins): Look around your exteriors and fill fine cracks and holes with waterprrof masonry filler before they become larger issues. This can be used for repairs to brick, render, stone and most other building materials. Paint over as necessary.
3. Trim any obvious stray branches (15 mins): Unruly branches and foliage can stick out like a sore thumb when it comes to your exteriors, and all it takes is a few quick snips to keep them in check. This shouldn’t be a deep-dive into your trees and hedges, only clearly-visible problems should be bothered with. As always, please be careful of nesting birds (1st March – 31st August) and other wildlife.
4. Plant flowers and/or plants around main focal points (45 mins): A bit of thoughtful landscaping can go a long way when it comes to reviving your exteriors, and flowers are always a wise place to start. Seasonal offerings will be readily available at your local garden centre, and the warm weather provides the perfect opportunity for planting. Only focus on areas that are highly visible so your hard work will have a greater impact.
5. Spray weed killer on problem areas (10 mins): While this won’t have an instant effect on your exteriors, it will prohibit pesky problems going forward—and it takes no time at all! Be sure to take care for pets, and use pet/child friendly weed killer. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure a safe and effective process.
6. String some lights for outdoor ambiance (15 mins): String lights are quick to install and will add a warm glow to your exteriors. Get outdoor, waterproof lights to put in your back garden—these will be thoroughly enjoyed during the summer months during barbecues and get-togethers!
7. Focus on your entryway (20 mins): Your front door serves as a passageway to the heart of your home, and it’s important that it looks inviting. In addition to ensuring your front door is always painted to perfection, we suggest accessorising your entryway with container plants, wreaths, and the appropriate lighting.
8. Install container plants (15 mins): Strategically position container plants around your exteriors near walkways, focal points, and gathering areas. These will help make your garden look polished, and containers or pots are great ways to add interest—try playing with colours and patterns!
When time is at a minimum, it can be hard to motivate yourself to better your home’s exteriors. However, just a few free hours is all it takes to bring your outdoors from drab to fab! For more helpful home improvement tips, call into your local Sandtex stockist or visit us on the web.