Around the world, white has become a classic colour for home exteriors. It’s bright, it’s light, it looks sharp, it goes with everything, and it’s the quintessential neutral. As useful and appealing as white is, it unfortunately has the potential to look— dare we say— boring if it’s not done right. Although the stark white architecture of Grecian hills look striking against the bright blue sea, here in Ireland it’s nice to get a little more creative. If you’re hoping to spice up your white exteriors, here are some tips to set you on the right track.
1. Choose the right white: This tongue-twisting tip is an important one! Not all white shades are created equally. There’s plenty of selection to choose from, and we recommend sampling your white before painting your entire house with it. For a classic pure shade, opt for Brilliant White. For something a little more creamy, try our shades Cotton Belt or Soft White. Finding your perfect shade is easy and inexpensive—our testers are only €2 each for the rest of the year!
2. Choose a complementary trim: Add depth to your home and make your exteriors more interesting by adding a beautifully-coloured trim. As we mentioned, one of the great things about white is that it goes with everything, so your trim options are endless! It’s a great idea to add colour elsewhere if you have white walls. If you want something classic and sophisticated, go with a jet black. For an understated look, choose another neutral shade, such as a beige or grey. Looking for something bolder? Greens, blues, and reds may also tickle your fancy.
3. Enliven your entrance: Your front door is likely the first thing visitors will see when they come to your home. It needs to pack a punch, especially when it’s surrounded by plain white walls. We suggest opting for a bold door colour to punctuate your front exterior. A classic red door is always a winner in our books, but the colour you choose will obviously depend on your personal taste. Don’t be afraid to go bold! In addition to your door colour, we suggest adding some accessories around your entryway. Start with an interesting door knocker, and consider incorporating an overhang or a portico to beautifully frame your entrance. Breathe even more life into your entrance area with some plants and strong planters.
4. Make sure to focus on maintenance: White walls have the tendency to really show marks and other damage. Cracks will be more apparent on white walls, as will dark stains from dirt and grime. For this reason, you need to make sure to regularly repair damage and clean your walls. You’ll also want to ensure they’re properly primed and protected in order to minimise the upkeep that’s required.
5. Harness the power of landscaping: In order to refine your white exterior look and give it that
real wow factor, we recommend some thoughtful
landscaping you do will obviously depend on your home and your personal tastes,
but we recommend working with what you’ve got and simply enhancing where you
can. Green looks stunning against white walls, and plants and flowers will be
enhanced by the white backdrop.
White walls are classic and lovely, but it’s a wise idea to give them a boost where you can! The above tips will help enhance your neutral exteriors. For more expert assistance and everything you need to get started, call into your local Sandtex stockist or visit us on the web.