Ireland, among many other things, is known for its quaint cottages which scatter the towns and countryside. Many of these cottages have been around for centuries and are part of the rich cultural heritage of the Emerald Isle. We love the look of these beloved dwellings, and we’re enchanted by their charm!
Here, we’ll cover some great design tips that are inspired by Ireland’s cottages.
1. Don’t be afraid to go for contrasting walls and trim: Walls and windows/trim that greatly contrast offer a striking look to your home. This white and red look above is an excellent option, but the possibilities are truly endless. White and black offer a classic look, and another trick we love is combining lighter and darker shades of the same colour—for example, a light blue and a navy or a light grey and a dark charcoal. This technique ensures your colours look good together, but still offer that pop.
2. Landscaping is a must: We always recommend smart landscaping for a polished look to your exteriors, and this cottage (which looks like it’s been transformed into a shop) has the perfect mix of fun flowers, a crisp lawn, and strategic pathways. Not only does it look appealing, it’s practical!
3. Don’t be afraid to get a bit crazy with the colour combinations: Who would have thought that orange and green would look so cute when coupled together, but it just seems to work! We’ve always encouraged our customers to go bold and have some fun with exterior colours, and this cottage is a perfect representation of what can happen with a little creativity.
4. Work with your natural surrounds: There are lots of stunning landscapes in Ireland, and we love it when a house fits perfectly into the beautiful world around it, or even helps to showcase the remarkable scenery in its vicinity. You can see that this cottage seems to sit perfectly on the slight hillside, embracing the natural world around it.
5. Greenery isn’t just for the garden: Why limit your green space to the garden? Use your walls as a second space for gorgeous greens, and welcome climbing vines along your exteriors. Vines give your home a rustic, country look and help it to blend into the lovely nature around it. This cottage looks like it’s one with the trees and leaves that surround it. It almost looks magical, as if by stepping through the front door you’re entering a secret garden passageway.
If you’re searching for exceptional inspiration, look no further than the cottages that have been around for lifetimes over. For everything you need to get started on your next home improvement project, call in to your local Sandtex stockist or visit us on the web.