With the days getting longer and warmer, we’ll be spending more and more time outdoors. It’s therefore important to have a nice space to enjoy in the open air. There are certain things you can do to help create an ideal patio arrangement, and the following post will provide some useful tips on these. Read on to find out what you can do to develop a charming outdoor oasis.
1. Clean your outdoor space: A great garden area begins with a solid foundation. Over the winter months, your patio has had to contend with the elements and chances are this has caused some sort of disruption. Use our Fungicidal Wash to treat organic growth on exterior walls, paths and patios. This product kills mould, algae and fungal growth.
2. Choose the right furniture: If you’re going to be spending time outdoors, you’ll want to be sure to invest in furniture that is both comfortable and functional. When buying furniture for your patio, ask yourself questions such as:
- What will this furniture be used for?
- What is the ideal size of furniture based on my patio?
- What style will fit in with the aesthetic I’m trying to create?
- What furniture materials are best suited for the job?
- How much maintenance will this furniture require?
3. Refresh your surroundings: When you’re spending time on your patio, you’re likely going to be looking at the back of your house and its surrounds. Part of creating an ideal patio is to ensure the surrounding area is in good shape, as things like cracks in your walls and chipping or peeling paint will hinder the whole experience. Repair any fine cracks or holes with our Ready Mixed Masonry Filler. This easy to use product is ideal for outdoor repairs to brick, render, stone and most other building materials prior to painting. Giving the walls a fresh coat of paint will also ensure a polished patio experience. Our wide range of masonry and trim products will ensure you get the best product for the job. If you want to really create a wow feature for your patio, consider painting a mural or feature wall.
4. Add greenery and colour with plants and flowers: Another way to make a patio look fabulous is by adding flowers and greenery to the space. We love the look of hanging baskets and these can be filled with seasonal flowers to brighten your oasis. Potted plants, trees, and flowers also make delightful complements to a well-dressed patio. Be sure to not only choose plants that are visually appealing to you, but that will also be well suited to their new environment.
5. Polish things off with thoughtful touches: Your patio is looking fantastic, but to really polish it off, you might want to add some thoughtful accessories to give the space maximum comfort and style. An outdoor area rug is a great way to bring colour and comfort onto the patio, and accessorising furnishings with patterned throw cushions will do the same. Having a blanket on-hand will ensure you won’t be too cold on windy days or cool nights. Candles and lighting will also provide a nice ambiance during the evenings, and elements such as a fire pit should also be considered if you have the space for it.
Now, who’s ready to get outside?! To start your patio oasis off with the best foundation, ring or visit your nearest Sandtex stockist for product and application advice. You can also head to our blog for more exterior inspiration.