Summertime has arrived, and this means you’ll likely be spending more of your days outside. It’s therefore the perfect time to ensure your exteriors are in tip top shape! Luckily, there are plenty of simple things you can do to spruce up your home and make it really sparkle in the summer sunshine.
The following five steps will give you extraordinary exteriors in no time!
1. Investigate your exteriors for damages: First things first—before you start making any improvements, you’ll need to know where things stand. Walk around the perimeter of your home and look for anything that might need to be cleaned, repainted, and/or repaired. We find it’s helpful to make a list of the things you’ll need to do so that you don’t forget at a later time. When you’re aware of where any issues lie, go to the store (or your shed) and source the relevant supplies.
2. Clean and Repair: Use our Ready Mixed Masonry Filler to patch cracks and holes. You can apply directly from the tub using a spreader or a knife, and the material is dried and ready to be painted over in just one hour. For deeper cavities, apply in layers. Remove any loose of flaky material and treat any organic growth with Fungicidal Wash. For chalking and weathered walls, apply one coat our Quick Dry Stabilising Solution with a brush and wait for at least four hours. PVC-u surfaces can be cleaned and rejuvenated back to life using our PVC-u Cleaner and PVC-u Restorer.
3. Repaint Masonry and Trim: Whether you’re painting over the cracks you’ve now repaired, or just want a fresh colour for your exteriors walls or trim, opt for our quality line of paints. Painting your home is one of the quickest and most cost-effective ways to maximise your wow factor. A fresh coat of paint will have your home sparkling, and will give friends and family something to admire while at your place BBQs and outdoor get-togethers. If you’re looking for something to really make your garden pop, consider painting a feature wall in a fresh, seasonal colour.
4. Refresh your garden walkways: If you have garden pathways, ensure they’re cleared, cleaned and ready to welcome visitors. This is also a great way to give your garden a put-together look. For stone walkways, use Fungicidal Wash to kill off organic growth and use a pressure washer to get off any built up dirt and grime and make your masonry really shine. Fix cracks to walkway stones with Masonry Filler and add a pop of colour to your garden by painting stone a complementary colour. This includes any paved terraces or patios!
5. Rejuvenate trellises, doors, furniture, and other wooden features: Use our exterior trim products to enliven your wooden or metal trellises, doors, panels and furniture. People will want nice, clean-looking areas to sit and lounge, so a quick paint job will go a long way to making things look as polished as possible.
Following the above five steps will ensure your exteriors are beautified and you’re ready to host your next summer garden party. For more expert advice and everything you need to get you started, call into your local Sandtex stockist or visit us on the web.